Saturday 10 May 2008

Problems on re-entry

Is this it?

The end?

Did I adventure beyond the ultraworld?

Did I ever leave?




Ok, the answers are yes. No stolen credit cards, lost passports, hostage videos, crashes, arrests, bribes or druggings - but I did go round the world and I did make it back in one piece. I must've been doing something wrong.

And five days after touching down there's not been too many problems on re-entry. Save for a bit of jetlag and a couple of habits that I need to get back into (like wearing jeans, and clean underwear, and t-shirts that have been washed in a machine rather than with flaky soap in a guesthouse sink) things have been easy. And so my thoughts turn back to the ultraworld.

In some ways it doesn't feel like I ever left. Everything is more or less still where it was - my things, the South Downs, the government, the Albion. Just a few bits and pieces scattered around to remind me that it wasn't a dream. A painting from Australia, a poster of the Thai King, a hammock, some photos, a new Prime Minister, a new Boris Johnson... Or maybe it was a dream. Maybe I've not woken up.

I won't bore you with my profound thoughts on my last twelve months. Mainly cos I can't think of any. In 365 days I managed to cross 31 borders, sleep in 215 different places and burn over eight tonnes of carbon dioxide. And what do I have to show for it? A bit less hair, a broken finger, some photos, four filled journals and this blog.

In fact I've never re-read or proof read this site until today. I feel like going back and editing it but I guess that wouldn't be the point. So in the absence of any final thoughts, here's a few of the highlights from Mr Tony's Adventures. Ok it's just some links, but better than nothing. Probably. These were a few of my favourite things:
One year in half a dozen easy links. Thanks for reading.


No comments: